Search This Blog

Sunday, August 1, 2010

Karin's Week Thirty-one Recipe: Mor Monsen (Mother Monsen)

This week's recipe is a result of once again getting about 3.5 hr notice that my wonderful husband needed to bring something to work for the weekly potluck. Luckily, his assignment was dessert. That is something that I can generally make with out a trip to the store, and without it taking a lot of time. I've had a cookie recipe that I've wanted to try for awhile now, out of my Norwegian Recipes cookbook. The total number of ingredients in this recipe is 6, which makes it fairly simple. And Tricia, you'll like it because it necessitates the use of a kitchen scale.

Mor Monsen

8oz butter, softened
8oz sugar
5 eggs
8 oz plain flour
Chopped almonds
Chopped stoned raisins or currants (I used dried cranberries, as the other member of my household will not eat raisins, and I generally don't have dried currants on hand.)

Beat butter and sugar until white and creamy. Add the eggs, one at a time, and beat thoroughly. Add the flour gradually. Grease a large shallow oven tin such as is used for roasting meat and sprinkle with flour. (I used a non stick 9x13, greased but not floured.) Pour in the mixture and smooth out with a spatula to a depth of 1/2". Strew thickly with chopped almonds and chopped stoned raisins or currants. (I think I used about 1 c of each, before chopping.) Bake in slow oven about 300deg for 30-40 minutes. Leave in the tin and while still warm, cut into small diamonds with a sharp pointed knife. Cool on a wire rack and store in an airtight tin.

Preliminary tasting of the batter said that this would be good. Additional tasting after baking, said the same. Now I am waiting for the feedback from the work crew. The only thing I'd do differently with this recipe is to just cut it into squares, as I am apparently not good at cutting diamonds - mine looked mostly like squares, and took way too long to cut. I'd also try and press the topping into the batter a bit, as I expected it to sink during the baking, and it didn't, causing a slight mess whilst eating. I think this could be good with other types of nuts or dried fruits, and may try that in the future. 


After hearing back from the work crew, I was informed that all tasting results were positive. Even considering there ended up being a picnic along the side of the road due to unfortunate timing of the meal. Apparently, both 2nd and 3rd shifts gave a thumbs up to this recipe. However, I also learned that my wonderful husband has not told the boys at work why he has to get feedback on everything he brings in as a dish to share. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment