Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Guest Recipe from Judy: Oven-Roasted Tomatoes

Today I mentioned to my much-esteemed coworker Judy that I had some tomatoes I needed to render into sauce, and she gave me her method of oven-roasting tomatoes. I'm going to give you her guidelines and my own variation.

Judy's Oven-Roasted Tomatoes

Clean tomatoes and slice vertically into quarters. Put on a baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil, minced garlic, and salt. Lay fresh thyme on top and put into a 180F oven overnight. Pop into a zip-lock bag and freeze for the long, cold winter.

Chris's Oven-Roasted Tomatoes

I'm sure Judy's roasting method generates fabulous flavor, but my oven's 25 years old and I'm not risking leaving it on all night! And since I'm a messy drizzler, I just mixed everything in a large bowl.

Clean tomatoes and slice vertically into quarters or eighths. Mix in a large bowl with olive oil, minced garlic, and salt. Put everything onto a jelly-roll pan lined with foil and lay fresh thyme on top. Roast at 400F for 45 min or until the tomatoes are starting to char a bit.

If you're making sauce, remove most of the peels. Pop into a zip-lock bag and freeze for the long, cold winter.

Would I make this recipe again? I think you can count on it! I sampled some tomatoes once they'd cooled and I think I wound up eating a whole tomato's worth of sections.

No comments:

Post a Comment