Search This Blog

Sunday, August 8, 2010

Chris's Week Thirty-Two Recipe: Farmer's Market Roasted Vegetables

The Woodbury Farmer's Market was chock full 'o delicious fruits and vegetables today, and as I carried home my string bags (yes, the carrots stick out a bit!) I thought it would be nice to make some vegetable casserole. But as I was searching around, this recipe caught my eye. A couple of notes:
  1. True confession: the red pepper came from Kowalski's. There weren't many peppers today at the farmer's market. But everything else is fresh from the market this morning!
  2. The original recipe calls for 1 T olive oil. When I added the herbs & spices to 1 T and shook to mix, the herbs just schlurped up the oil, so I wound up adding another tablespoon of oil. I think you could get away with 1 T if you drizzled the oil over the vegetables, then shook on the herbs & spices and tossed everything together.
  3. I substituted 2 t Penzey's Pasta Sprinkle for 1 t each dried basil & oregano. Yes, there's garlic in the Penzey's mix and yes, I added more minced garlic. I'm a bit like Linda and nutmeg when it comes to garlic.
Farmer's Market Roast Vegetables

about 20 fingerling potatoes, cut in half
5 medium-small carrots, cut in 1/2" slices
2 medium zucchini, cut in 1/2" slices
1 red pepper, cut into 1" chunks
1 banana pepper, cut into 1" chunks
2 T olive oil
2 t Penzey's Pasta Sprinkle
generous pinch of kosher salt
several grinds of black pepper
2 cloves garlic, minced

Combine all the chopped vegetables in a large bowl. Mix together the olive oil, herbs & spices, then drizzle over the vegetables and toss to coat (or drizzle the oil over the vegetables, toss on the herbs & spices & toss to coat). Spread the vegetables in a 9x13" pan and cook 30-40 min at 375F or to the desired tenderness.

Would I make this recipe again? The real question is, why haven't I done so before?!?

No comments:

Post a Comment