Search This Blog

Monday, August 16, 2010

Chris's Week Thirty-Three Recipe: Stewed Squash and Tomato

Last week's farmers market zucchini came with a nice little yellow pattypan squash. I've never cooked with one of those before! While noodling around on the Net, I spotted this recipe and after Tricia gave me a few tomatoes from her garden, I decided it was time for....

Stewed Squash and Tomatoes

2 T olive oil
1-2 bell peppers of any color, chopped
1 pattypan squash, chopped
pinch kosher salt
2 large tomatoes, chopped
1 cup water
3 cloves garlic, minced
basil leaves, chopped or chiffonaded
chopped green onions
black pepper
brown basmati rice

Cook the basmati rice per package instructions.

Saute the peppers and squash in the olive oil until just tender. Add salt, tomatoes, water, and garlic and simmer until the liquid has reduced by half (about 20 minutes). Serve over brown basmati rice garnished with basil leaves, chopped green onion, and black pepper.

Would I make this recipe again? Probably not. The flavor was great, but I think I could have gotten there just sauteeing the vegetables and saved a lot of cooking time!

No comments:

Post a Comment