Search This Blog

Sunday, August 1, 2010

Karin's Bonus Week 31 Recipe: Poached Fish in White Wine

I think I've been watching too much Top Chef lately, as I seem to want to try out recipes and cooking techniques that seem complicated. We had some tilapia steaks that needed to be cooked before our trip to New York City later this week, so I was on a hunt for a fish recipe. This recipe also finished up the rest of the white wine from last week's bonus recipe. The recipe is from the Joy of Cooking, and once again, I had all the ingredients on hand, so I went ahead and tried out a new fish cooking method.

Poached Fish in White Wine

2 c dry white wine (I used Wollersheim Winery's Dry Riesling)
2 c water
2 T rice, sherry, or white wine vinegar (I used rice vinegar)
1 tsp salt
10 whole black peppercorns, Penzey's Tellicherry Black Peppercorns
10 coriander seeds (didn't have this, but used a scant 1/2 tsp of ground)
2 whole cloves (same situation as the coriander)
1 bay leaf
1 garlic clove
several sprigs parsley, thyme, or tarragon, or 1/2 tsp dried (I used Penzey's French Thyme)
1.5-2lb fish steaks, rinsed

Find a pan big enough to hold the fish steaks in a single layer, and deep enough to hold the liquid. Place all ingredients other than the fish into the pan. Bring to a boil, uncovered, over high heat, then reduce heat and simmer for 5 min. Gently place fish into poaching liquid, cover the pan, and simmer for 8 min. Check for doneness. Remove fish when flesh is slightly translucent. Serve hot, at room temp, or chilled. Sauce is optional.

This recipe went together quickly and easily, and did not make the kitchen too hot. This was a bonus, as it was 85deg outside by 11am today. It also smelled really good while it was cooking. The poaching was much easier than I had thought, and I didn't even need a special fish poaching pan. This method of cooking kept the fish nice and moist, and gave it a nice light flavor. Nate voted to have it served with a sauce next time, due to the fact that he thought it was too boring in texture. I might try this again, now that I know how easy it is. I'll just have to find a sauce to go with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment