Search This Blog

Monday, May 31, 2010

Tricia's week 22 recipe: Spicy Tuna quesadillas

No, I do not mean the spicy tuna that you can find in a sushi roll that is most delicious, this is the kind that comes from a can and has spices added to it.  Sad, I know...  However, this recipe is what happens when I look at the cupboards, which I find quite bare, and say to self, "what do you want for lunch", when I am the only one home.

Spicy Tuna Quesadillas
1 can tuna in water
enough mayo to hold tuna together
1/8 teaspoon onion powder
1/8 teaspoon Essence (see what happens when you make a spice mix and have a LOT of it!)

Mix the above together in a bowl until happy w/ mix and add:
2 stalks celery, cleaned and chopped

Then:
two softshell tortillas, I used Cruz Soft Taco Size.

place one on plate and spoon above mix onto it, leaving enough room around the edges so that you don't make a mess in frying pan...add to top of this mixture:

enough Essence seasoning to color the top
Penzey's Red Pepper flakes, as much as you like to achieve your spice level
1 handful shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 handful shredded mozerella cheese
second tortilla

Tips for cooking quesadilla:
use pan bigger than tortilla, and plate that fits in pan, so you can place plate on top, flip over, and slide back into pan when flipping (less mess)
use non-fat vegetable cooking oil, like Pam, rather than butter

spray large frying pan w/ cooking oil.  Place quesadilla in pan on mediaum heat.  cook 3-4 minutes or until warm but not fully browned.  Flip.  Cook on other side 5-8 minutes or until browned.  Flip one last time to original side.  Brown up original side (you may wish to use a larger pot lid to cover to keep all warm.  Remove to plate, cut into fourths or sixths, and devour!

would I make this agian?  Yes!  The recipe is quite tasty, a variation on tuna salad and quesadillas I have never tried before.  The spices were very good in it, so much that I didn't need sour cream or salsa with it.  I devoured the whole thing...which looking back is quite a lot of food and now I'm very full! 

No comments:

Post a Comment