Search This Blog

Friday, May 21, 2010

Chris's BONUS Week Twenty Recipe: Olive Oil Cake

Feeling a little guilty about a two-ingredient recipe for this week, I decided to experiment on my parents again when they came over today to help me wash my windows. (This is by way of being an early birthday present, and it is much appreciated!)

And I knew just what I wanted to make: an olive oil cake. Jo and I had a very lovely dinner at Good Earth last night (thanks again for the potholders, Jo!) and decided to try the very intriguing dessert listed on their sampler dinner. But where would I find a recipe. Enter... a new cookbook!

Tricia had recently recommended a cookbook to me called Good to the Grain, Baking with Whole-Grain Flours. That girl understands my cooking predilecations! I bought a copy and have had a good time looking at all the recipes. And lo and behold... there was the recipe I wanted.

The original Olive Oil Cake recipe calls for 1.5 T chopped fresh rosemary and 5 oz chopped bittersweet chocolate. Knowing my parents' taste buds, I opted for lemon zest instead. I also had to substitute whole wheat flour for spelt flour. The recipe calls for baking in a 9.5" fluted tart pan, which I do not possess, so I opted for an 8" square baking pan. (Do the math... the areas of the pans are pretty close.)

Olive Oil Cake

Mix together dry ingredients:

3/4 c whole wheat flour
1.5 c all-purpose flour
3/4 c sugar
1.5 t baking powder
1/2 t kosher salt

Beat together

3 eggs
1 c olive oil
3/4 c milk
1/2 T lemon zest

and fold into the dry mixture until just combined. Pour into an 8" square baking pan greased with olive oil. Bake for 35-50 min or until golden brown on top and start to brown at the edges.

Would I make this recipe again? Count on it, gentle readers! This made a very moist, delicately flavored cake that received high marks from the parents and myself. And yes, they were grateful I had decided against rosemary & bittersweet chocolate. :P

1 comment: