Search This Blog

Sunday, May 23, 2010

Chris's Week Twenty-One Recipe, aka the Great Chana Dal Disaster

I think I've done pretty well in getting through nearly half this year with a complete culinary meltdown, but today was obviously the day. It all began when I scored some St. Paul Flatbread on sale at Kowalski's. "Hmmm..." quoth I. "I think I have some lentils up on the top shelf of the cupboard. I could make dal!" As it turned out the item in question was not lentils, but chana dal. A little research and I had a new recipe to try. I even had to hunt down a recipe for garam masala since I didn't have any in the spice cupboard.

It was a disaster from start to finish.

The chana dal had obviously been sitting around since the last time the Twins were in the World Series because no matter how long I simmered them, they never got tender. I blackened rather than carmelized the onions and the garam masala mix just wasn't very exciting. I even managed to erase most of this blog entry and am now writing it all over again.

But, I put a fair amount of effort into this meal and the recipe should have worked, so I'm posting it today. Maybe one of my more legume-oriented friends (Hi, Jo!) will give it a try and report back.

Chana Dal

3 c water
1 c chana dal
1/2 onion, sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
olive oil for sauteeing
1/2 t garam masala

Simmer the chana dal until tender (about 35-45 min... I think). Meanwhile, sautee the onion and garlic in a splash of olive oil until carmelized. Add the garam masala and cook a little longer. Add the onion mixture to the chana dal and serve.

Would I make this recipe again? Not without extensive therapy!

No comments:

Post a Comment