Search This Blog

Sunday, May 30, 2010

Tricia's Week 21 Recipe: Rhubarb Bread

Three years ago I planted a rhubarb plant.  It was a nice plant, but a bit small - brand new to the world.  Three years later, it has broad leaves and thick stems.  It was time to harvest it to make something delectible.  So, out of (many) stalks of my rhubarb plant, the initial harvest of the plant, came this weeks recipe.

Rhubarb Bread

Ingredients:
1.5 C brown sugar
2/3 C veg. oil
1 egg
1 C sour milk ***I read this wrong and used one cup sour cream....see below
1 tsp salt
1 tsp soda
1 tsp vanilla
2.5 C flour
1.5 C Rhubarb Diced

Stir together in the order given, pour into loaf pans, 2 smaller or 1 large (I used 2 smaller, and think this is a better choice)

Topping:
1/2 C sugar
1 Tbs butter

mix will  (cut sugar into butter) and put on top of batter

Bake 350 for 55 min or until set.

Would I make this again?  YES!  Suprisingly, or maybe not, the sour cream was a good substitution for the sour milk.  The bread turned out moist and well set, and I think I'll try that w/ another recipe, like banana bread!    Perhaps it is the lovely sugar crumble on top, but whoa, this is a tasty treat!

1 comment:

  1. Yum. I shall have to try this if I can find some rhubarb. My neighbor's giant patch got weedwhipped by her son.

    ReplyDelete