Search This Blog

Sunday, May 23, 2010

Jennifer's Week Twenty Recipe - Portobello Mushroom Burgers

I am always trying to find ways for my carnivores to enjoy vegetarian meals. It really is hit or miss with them.


Portobello Mushroom Burgers

Ingredients

  • 4 portobello mushroom caps
  • 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 teaspoon dried basil
  • 1 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1 tablespoon minced garlic
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 4 (1 ounce) slices provolone cheese

Directions

  1. Place the mushroom caps, smooth side up, in a shallow dish. In a small bowl, whisk together vinegar, oil, basil, oregano, garlic, salt, and pepper. Pour over the mushrooms. Let stand at room temperature for 15 minutes or so, turning twice.
  2. Preheat grill for medium-high heat.
  3. Brush grate with oil. Place mushrooms on the grill, reserving marinade for basting. Grill for 5 to 8 minutes on each side, or until tender. Brush with marinade frequently. Top with cheese during the last 2 minutes of grilling.

Would I make this again? Well, if it were up to only me, yes. I thought they were quite tasty. Chad and Erik did not approve. Sigh. I will have to continue my hunt for Carnivore Friendly Vegetarian Meals. Hmm... sounds like the title of a quirky cookbook.

1 comment:

  1. All of the guys I work with are amazed that I eat more meat now, rather than Nate eating less. So I sympathize with the vegetarian vs. carnivore issue.

    ReplyDelete