Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Jennifer's Week Eighteen Recipe: Crazy Cantina Chili

So I cracked open the Star Wars cookbook again. I was trying to avoid using allrecipes.com for, what?, the fifth week in a row. It was an easy recipe (it is for kids after all) and I did doctor it somewhat.


Crazy Cantina Chili

Ingredients

1-16oz can kidney beans
1-16oz can black beans
1-16oz can garbanzo beans
1 onion
2 Tbs vegetable or olive oil
2 Tbs chili powder (I used way more than this)
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper (again, used much more than that)
1-28oz can crushed tomatoes with juice
1 cup tomato juice
Salt and pepper to taste
Shredded Cheddar cheese
Sour cream

1. Open the cans of beans and drain off any liquid. Set aside.

2. Chop the onion. (This was much longer in the book)

3. Heat the oil in a pot and add the onion. Cook the onion until tender, about 5 minutes.

4. Add the chili powder and cayenne pepper. Stir for 30 seconds

5. Add the beans, crushed tomatoes, and tomato juice. Stir well and let simmer for 15 minutes.

6. Serve chili with cheese and sour cream


I added: basil, cumin, oregano, garlic powder, and thyme to this... maybe some other things, too. (I was just rummaging in my cupboards and adding willy-nilly) I first made the recipe as directed and tasted it. It was like drinking tomato juice with chunks - it needed more flavor. I doubt I'll make it again since I am certain there are better vegetarian chilies out there!

No comments:

Post a Comment