Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Tricia's Week 20 recipe(s): brought to you by the Morel Mushroom

I have made two 'new' recipes this week.   The first really is new to me, but the technique of breading something I have done before.  The second is not new to me - I made scrambled eggs.  The 'new' part of this week's recipes was the ingredient.

This weekend I went morel mushroom hunting.  My family and I started doing this a few years ago when we learned what they looked like and that they were delicious.  This recipe begins with "find or purchase morel mushrooms...  I suggest using www.morel.com as a jumping off point if you wish to catch your own!

Recipe 1: fried mushrooms
Find or purchase morel mushrooms...as many as you like. Soak to remove bugs and spores.  note: urban myth says to pour out the water by an elm tree and maybe you can grow your own.  I'm not so sure Cut mushrooms in half lengthwise.  Meanwhile, in a ziplock bag mix some flour (enough to coat all your mushrooms) and a few shakes of salt and pepper.  Place damp mushrooms in zippy bag, shake to coat.  In a frying pan, heat up enough butter to fry mushrooms. I had four reasonably sized mushrooms and I heated about 1/3 to 1/2 stick (I had a lot remaining after I was done).  Place mushrooms in pan and fry til crisp on both sides.

Recipe 2:  mushroom and pepper scrambled eggs.

5 smallish morels cut up
1/2 green pepper, chopped
1/3 to 1/2 cup pepper jack cheese, shredded
4 eggs
1-3 Tablespoons milk
1/4 to 1/2 T Essence seasoning

In butter remaining from recipe one, fry up morels until fragrant then add pepper cook til hot but still cripsy.  beat eggs and milk together and pour in pan.  Add cheese on top.  Scramble until desired doneness (in our house, this is more done). 

Would I make these recipes again?  In a heart beat!  Sadly, I am out of Morels and will not be back to my Hunting Grounds until the season is over! Perhaps I love them so much because I only eat them once a year.  Still, delicious, delicious mushrooms!

No comments:

Post a Comment