Search This Blog

Thursday, May 27, 2010

Karin's Week Eighteen Recipe: Oatmeal-Walnut Cookies

I had an urge to make cookies, now that my kitchen is fully functional once again. And, I figure if I don't like the way that they turn out, I can always send them to work with Nate. I also am a big fan of finding recipes for things that I have already on hand, rather than having to go out and buy them. This recipe came from a baking cookbook I have called, The Road to Blue Ribbon Baking with Marjorie, by Marjorie Johnson.

Oatmeal Walnut Cookies

1 c butter
1 c brown sugar, fimrly packed
1 c granulated sugar
1 tsp vanilla
2 eggs
1 3/4 c flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
3 c quick-cooking oatmeal (I just used plain oatmeal)
1 c chopped walnuts

In a large electric mixing bowl, place butter, sugars, vanilla, and eggs. Beat until creamy. Sift flour, soda and salt together, and add on low speed to butter mixture. Add oatmeal and walnuts and combine well. Refrigerate dough for about 1/2 hour. Form into balls the size of walnuts. Place 2 inches apart on greased cookie sheets. Bake in a preheated oven at 400 degrees for 8-10 minutes. Cool on wire rack.

These cookies were very tasty, and quick to make. The only issue I had was not paying close attention to the recipe - I only used 1 c of flour, rather than the entire amount. I only realized this once the cookies were baked, when I was trying to figure out why they were so flat and crispy. They were still very edible, and when taken to work by Nate disappeared in under 10 minutes. There have been requests for these to show up with him again. Next time I think I'll try using the entire amount of flour and compare the results.

1 comment:

  1. That's good to know about the flour! Please put up a new post and tell us when you try the entire amount!

    ReplyDelete