Search This Blog

Saturday, May 15, 2010

Chris's Week Nineteen Recipe: Chai Oatmeal

I got thinking about cooking with tea this week and spotted this recipe at the Happy Herbivore. Here's my own variation. Be sure to read the added notes in italics before you cook!

Chai Oatmeal

Brew 1.5 cups chai tea and let cool.

I would recommend brewing the tea on the light side if you want to avoid a 'sharp' taste to your oatmeal. And trust me... let the tea cool, otherwise you'll wind up with an explosion in your microwave!

In a large, microwave-friendly container, combine

pinch salt
3/4 cup old-fashioned oats
1/4 cup raisins

Add the tea and nuke for 3.5 min or as appropriate for your own microwave. Mix in

1/2 t pumpkin pie spice*


Would I make this recipe again? Yes! I may even try it tomorrow.


*My spice cupboard didn't run to pumpkin pie spice, so I mixed up a batch using this recipe:

Homemade Pumpkin Pie Spice

Mix together

1 t ground cinammon
1/4 t ground ginger
1/4 t ground nutmeg
1/4 t ground cloves

NB: I used Penzey's spices and they are potent! The original Chai Oatmeal recipe called for 1-1/4 t of spices for a smaller quantity of oatmeal, but I only used 1/2 t of this mix and it was plenty.

No comments:

Post a Comment