Search This Blog

Thursday, October 14, 2010

Tricia's Week 41 Recipe: Hot Italian Sausage Sanwiches

Maybe these are called dago sandwiches elsewhere?  I don't know. I might be cheating a bit with this recipe, but I do know I had about a 1/2 pound of leftover spicy Italian sausage from making pizza that had to be used, 1/2 a homemade loaf of bread threatening to go stale, and some leftover pizza sauce.  Based on this, and my love of spicy food,  I made last night's dinner, and week 41's recipe:

Ingredients:
spicy Italian sausage (about 1/4 lb per patty)
Penzey's Pizza Seasoning
Penzey's Garlic Salt
pepper jack cheese, cut into slices (enough to cover each patty)
Homemade bread (made from the leftover cloverleaf roll dough I had because I didn't want 24 rolls, so made 12 and 1 loaf bread - worked really well, actually!)

Make patties and season w/ pizza seasoning and garlic salt.  Place in greased skillet or pan on medium heat and cover.  Cook approximately 10 minutes on one side and 8 on the other (or however long it takes to make them completely cooked through).  Meanwhile, take bread and make toast. Coat each side of toast with leftover pizza sauce from Week 3's Recipe.  Place pepperjack cheese over sausage patties and melt.  Put patty on bread, cut in half (because it's a big sandwich) and enjoy.

I will definitely make this again., delicious, and easy at the end of a hard day!  We often have leftover pizza making ingredients, and I've been making a lot of fresh bread lately.  One could sub mild sausage and mozzarella cheese if one wanted a milder flavor, the pizza seasoning isn't spicy - it's more fennel/oregano-y.  If you didn't have fresh bread, you could use toasted bagels or hamburger buns too, I suppose.

No comments:

Post a Comment