Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Jennifer's Bonus Week Forty-One Recipe: Next Day Mac and Cheese Toast AKA Fried Mac and Cheese

So I did end up having quite a bit left over Baked Mac and Cheese after Erik turning his nose up at it last night. Having actually seen the episode of "Good Eats" where Alton Brown makes his Baked Mac and Cheese, I remembered that he did something with the leftovers: he fried them. I figured I would give it a try for lunch today.


Next Day Mac and Cheese "Toast"

Leftover baked mac and cheese, refrigerated at least overnight
1 cup all-purpose flour (I used less than this since I was just making it for myself)
1 teaspoon salt (used less)
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (did not use less, wanted some bite!)
fresh ground black pepper
1 egg beaten with 2 ounces water
1 cup panko bread crumbs (used normal bread crumbs since I had those on hand)
Oil for frying, preheated to 375 degrees


Cut refrigerated mac and cheese into slices or bite sized pieces.

Season the flour with salt, pepper and cayenne. Dredge each piece through the flour and gently tap off the excess. Dip in the egg wash and then coat with the bread crumbs. Allow them to sit for 5 minutes so the crust can set. Very carefully drop into the oil and fry until golden brown on all sides. Remove to a baking sheet fitted with a rack (or a plate with paper towel, which is what I did) and rest for 2 minutes before serving.


Would I make this again? Yep! I liked this even better than the straight up mac and cheese from last night. Of course, the frying would make it something that I don't do too often. Perhaps I could bake these bites as well for a healthier option?


No comments:

Post a Comment