Search This Blog

Monday, October 11, 2010

Tricia's Week 40 Recipe: Manwich Casserole

Last week I decided I wanted manwich, but didn't want it in the typical 'sloppy joe' or 'spanish hamburger' sense.  So I took myself to the store and purchased one can manwich, and for kicks - ground pork instead of ground beef or turkey, along with a few other staples (milk and butter) that were necessary.

I decided I would make a casserole of the Manwich, but when I looked at various cooking websites, the predominant recipe involved beef, manwich, cheese, and crescent rolls (which would please the meat and cheese and bread crowd), but I wanted vegetables!  So, I based it roughly on what one might do for a tater tot casserole:

Manwich Casserole
1 lb ground pork
Pizza Seasoning (from Penzey's)
1 can Manwich
1 cup green beans
1 cup whole kernal corn
some extra veg of whatever you have lying around
tater tots

Brown pork until no longer pink, sprinkling w/ Pizza Seasoning to taste.  Add Manwich and simmer 5 minutes.  Thaw veg (or drain if using canned) and add to pan and stir all together.  Grease a 2 quart casserole dish and pour in the mix, placing tater tots on top.  Bake at 400 for 30ish minutes, or until bubbling and tots are done.

I will make this again, but with a few changes.  It was delicious, but my main complaint from Chief Taster was that 'it looks spicy but it isn't'.  So next time I make it I'll likely jazz it up a bit w/ some chili seasonings or a jalapeno or two.  Also, it would be delicious with mashed potatoes on it, or even as a stew next to a baked potato.

1 comment:

  1. Just made it and im waitin' for the corn bread to be done... but looks yummy i wish i didn't forget the corn

    ReplyDelete