Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Chris's BONUS Week Forty-One Recipe: New Applesauce Cake with Maple Frosting

It was my turn to bring treats to RCIA this Tuesday. I knew I wanted to bring something fall-themed, but we had pumpkin bars last week. Hmmm.... After consulting with Jenni and Tricia, I decided on an applesauce cake with maple frosting. The cake recipe is from my beloved Betty Crocker's Picture Cookbook (c. 1950). The frosting is my own variation on a standard buttercream frosting, or what the cookbook calls White Butter Icing.

New Applesauce Cake

Grease and flour a 9x13" pan. Whisk together:

2.5 c sifted flour
2 c sugar
1/4 t baking powder
1.5 t soda
1 t salt (original recipe calls for 1.5 t)
3/4 t cinnamon
1/2 t cloves
1/2 t allspice

Beat in:

1/2 c soft shortening (I used Crisco)
1/2 c water

Add:

1.5 c unsweetened applesauce
1 very large egg (that's what the recipe says!)

and beat for two minutes.

Blend in:

1/2 c chopped walnuts
1/2 c chopped raisins

Bake at 350F for 45-50 min or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.

Maple Frosting

Beat together

4 T very soft butter
2 c powdered sugar

Slowly add in the maple syrup until the frosting reaches the desired consistency (probably about 1/4 to 1/2 cup, but I wasn't measuring).

Would I make this recipe again? I think I'll have to! We didn't have a big crowd tonight and all I salvaged to bring home was enough to make about three regular pieces.

No comments:

Post a Comment