Search This Blog

Friday, October 1, 2010

Karin's Week Thirty-Eight Recipe: Pecan Cranberry Biscotti

This recipe came from one of Nate's cookbooks: The Martha Stewart Living Cookbook. Most of you know how I feel about Martha, but I was looking for a biscotti recipe to make for Nate and I had all of the ingredients on hand in the pantry. And Nate really really likes biscotti - usually my mom makes them for him, but I thought I'd give it a try.


Pecan Cranberry Biscotti

1 1/2c toasted pecan halves (10min at 350 will toast them nicely)
1 tsp baking powder
2 1/2 cups flour
1 1/4c sugar
1/8 tsp kosher salt ( I went with 2 turns of the salt grinder)
3 large eggs
2 large egg yolks
1 tsp vanilla
1c dried cranberries
zest of 1 lemon

Preheat oven to 350deg. Line a baking sheet with parchment for later. Chop 1/2 the pecans and leave the rest in halves; set aside.

In mixing bowl, combine baking powder, flour, sugar and salt. In a separate bowl, beat the eggs and the egg yolks with the vanilla. Add to the dry ingredients; mix on medium low until a sticky dough is formed. Stir in pecans, cranberries and zest.

Turn dough out onto lightly floured surface and sprinkle with more flour; knead slightly. The dough will be VERY sticky at this point. Shape into 2 9x3.5in logs and place onto parchment covered pan. Bake for 30 min. Remove from oven and cool for 15 min. Reduce heat to 275deg. Slice logs of dough diagonally into 1/2 in pieces. Place cut-side down onto parchment. Return to oven and bake for 20min. Turn over pieces and bake for 20 min more. Remove biscotti to wire rack to cool.

Result: Yum! I may need to make another batch before my mom and grandma visit . The recipe says they will last in an air-tight container for several weeks. I will be lucky to get an entire week out of them. Meaning they will all be eaten of course. Maybe biscotti aren't as hard as I thought...

No comments:

Post a Comment