Search This Blog

Sunday, January 10, 2010

Why Do Some Recipes Work, But Not Others?

One of the realities of cooking for yourself is leftovers: both of the finished product and of constituent ingredients. I had vegetable broth and minced onion left over from the past week's recipe, so tonight I tried a variation of my Sage & Onion Risotto. I halved the recipe, used olive oil instead of butter, added 1/2 cup each frozen peas and chopped carrots, and used rosemary for seasoning.

It was not a resounding success.

Oh, the texture was good and the dish was colorful enough, but the flavor was completely uninspired. I'll finish what I have left after this evening, but only with plenty of cheese and pepper to disguise the taste. Why do some recipes work, but not others?


1 comment:

  1. Cooking and baking wouldn't be as much fun if we were always perfect, right?

    ReplyDelete