Search This Blog

Sunday, January 31, 2010

Bonus recipes, using Week Three Sauce

For week 3 I made pizza sauce.  Since my Cub Foods didn't have a small can of tomato puree, I dove in and made a Large Batch.  We then had company and made two large pizzas and some garlic cheese bread, with sauce for dipping.  However, I still have over a cup and a half of sauce left!  Whatever do I do?!  Why, make things you can use the sauce with, of course:

Bonus 1:  Pepperoni Bread
Do you bake bread?  Yes - Great!  No - That's OK too.  This recipe will work with a frozen 1 lb loaf of bread, or if you bake bread like me but decide last minute you have too much sauce left and don't want two plain loaves of bread, you can take 1/2 your bread dough and roll it for this:

Ingredients
1 lb frozen bread dough, thawed OR 1/2 white bread dough - fresh
Pepperoni (as much or as little as you want, I likely used 1/8 lb)
Mozzerella cheese
Parmessan cheese
Pizza Seasoning and Pasta Sprinkle from Penzey's
1 egg, beaten

Instructions
Roll out bread to about 9 inches by 14 inches, coat dough w/ beaten egg, cover surface w/ pepperoni.  Sprinkle mozerella cheese (likely about a cup, I was not measuring) on top, shake on Parmessan gratings (likely <1/4 cup, again, no measuring was completed).  Sprinkle liberally with seasonings
Bake at 400 for 20-25 minutes or until brown on the top. 

If you happen to have used 1/2 of your bread dough made from scratch, you can bake this while your other loaf is rising, then bake that - it's brilliant!

I will definately be making this again, YUM!

Bonus 2:  Individual Pizzas
Still, sauce remains!  Trevor has a brilliant idea, let's make Pizza Bread!  Off to the store he goes to restock of mozerella supply, and returns w/ Texas Toasts.  We toast the toasts according to box directions until lightly browned, add sauce, pepperoni, and cheese, and return to oven for 5 minutes.  Out come hot, individual pizzas that taste a lot like pudgy pie pizzas!  Wonderful!

If I were to do this again (which I will), I would bake according to box directions until lightly brown, then turn on broiler whilst adding toppings, and broil toppings done. The bread was a bit crisp by the time the toppings were done by baking.

No comments:

Post a Comment