Search This Blog

Sunday, January 3, 2010

New Year's Day - New Pizza Recipe

Already I'm confused.  52 new recipes, 52 weeks.  Do we go calendar weeks, date weeks, do we start the first official week in January or the first week w/ a January date!?  I think we'll officially start the week of January 3th, because wow, it's the 3rd already, but as a bonus, I did try something new New Year's Day!

Chicken Pizza
*This is a 'new recipe' because it doesn't consist of pizza sauce and toppings like I've made many a time - you make a new type of sauce and mix it w/ chicken then top w/ toppings.  I found this recipe in the Hidden Valley Ranch Family Favorites Recipe Book:


Ingredients...what it called for and then (what I actually did):
  • 1/2 cup Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing (you should make it from the packet, but if you cheat like me you will use what is in your fridge)
  • 1 3oz. package cream cheese, softened
  • 2 tablespoons tomato paste
  • 1 cup chopped cooked chicken (I used a can of chicken but only added 1 cup of it, again I was up late and feeling lazy)
  • 1 ready-to-eat 12-in. pizza crust (I didn't cheat here, I made my crust from scratch)
  • 1/2 cup roasted red pepper strips, rinsed and drained (you can buy these from a can, but I had frozen red peppers, so I used that)
  • 1 can (2 1/4 oz) sliced ripe olives, drained (I had a can of whole black olives - and the recipe doesn't say what kind, but the picture shows black, so I just opened my can of olives and sliced enough to make me happy
  • 1/4 cup chopped green onions (I didn't have any, and am not huge on onions, so I omitted)
  • 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (I didn't measure, but didn't go heavy on the cheese when covering the pizza, either)
Directions
Preheat oven to 450 degrees.  Combine dressing w/ cream cheese and tomato paste.  Stir in chicken. Spread mixture on pizza crust.  Arrange peppers, olives, and onions on pizza.  Sprinkle with cheese.  Bake at 450 for 15 minutes or until hot and bubbly.

Notes
I always put my oven to 500 when I cook pizza from scratch, just do.  Mostly because Trev used to work in the pizza biz and told me how hot their ovens were.  That said, the pizza never burns, it just cooks faster (though I recommend following package instructions on frozen pizza). 

The pizza looked great.  It tasted good, too.  A few notes.  Trev isn't fond of xxx-salad texture (like tuna salad or chicken salad)  so he wasn't the hugest fan of the texture of this pizza.  That could be because I cheated and used canned chicken, which isn't cubed nicely like if I would have cooked some chicken breasts first.  Also, the sauce mix was good, but not unique.  Overall, it tasted good but didn't WOW the way some of our other homemade pizza concoctions have. 

End result
Will I make it again, probably not, but if you like chicken on your pizza it is worth trying once.

No comments:

Post a Comment