Search This Blog

Saturday, January 9, 2010

Tricia's Week 1 Recipe: Spiced Pork Loin w/ Peaches

I have a confession:  I saw this recipe (on an index card which I snagged of a table at the State Fair but the bottom says  http://www.theotherwhitemeat.com/) and immediately went, "Ooh!  This would be delicious but I need to...".  Yup.  I was changing it even as I read it!  The original recipe calls for pork chops - fried, fresh peaches (or a can of peaches, drained) and prepared mustard for on the peaches.  My recipe includes pork loin - baked, and a can of peach pie filling that has been taking up space in  my cupboard for over a year.  What?!  Me, use a new recipe to help trim the cupboards?!  No....

Spiced Pork Loin with Peach Sauce

Ingredients
  • 1 pork loin (1-2 lbs)
  • 1 can peach pie filling
  • 1 teaspoon paprika
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon + a dash
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground clove + a dash
Directions:
Preheat oven to 425F.  Mix together spices in a bowl (minus dashes).  Place pork loin (thawed) into a shallow baking dish.  Coat pork loin w/ spices mixture until completely covered - yes this means picking up the pork loin and turning it.  Be careful to turn pork loin with one hand and use other hand to dust spices, or you end up w/ spices stuck to your fingers and have to wash hands before continuing...  (I used all the spice, even though it seemed excessive as I was doing it.)  Place pork in oven for at least 25 minutes...depending on your loin size, it could take much more time - make sure meat is not overly pink and juices run clear.

Meanwhile, place can of peach pie filling in a saucepan.  Add dashes cinnamon and clove.  Turn heat on to medium low about 10 minutes or so before loin is done to heat through, stirring to mix in spices. 

Take out loin, cut, pour peaches on top, and serve! 

Notes:
If you want to do this as pork chops, the recipe suggests adding a teaspoon flour to the spices and seasoning 4, 1/2 in pork chops then frying in melted butter (1 tablespoon) for 7-8 minutes on each side. The recipe also suggests taking your peaches drained and stirring the 1 teaspooon prepared mustard in with them, and then adding them to the skillet until heated through.  Personally, I like my version better...

Would I make this again?  Most Certainly!!  It was a hit, I took a chance and served my new recipe to guests without test making it first, and it was loved by all (whew!).  I think I may even try the pork chop option sometime....but I'll stick w/ my version of the peach sauce! I would have had a picture, but we devoured it before I was reminded I wanted those...oops!

No comments:

Post a Comment