Search This Blog

Friday, June 11, 2010

Karin's Week Twenty-Three Recipe: Chicken Curry

After reading Jenni's post last week about the Curried Chicken Pot Pie, I got the idea of making curry stuck in my head. Again with the rather quick lunch at my house, I looked through my Thai and my Indian cookbooks for something for which I had the ingredients. I had no coconut milk, so that cut out most of the Thai curries. This one I found in my Indian cookbook, Six Spices: A simple concept of Indian cooking, and it didn't call for coconut milk. Also, this cookbook has been a fun one to read, as the author is local to my area, and really seems to have made complicated recipes simple. There are lots of ingredients, but it goes together in less time than needed to cook the rice. Just make sure you have things lined up on the counter before you turn on the heat.

Chicken Curry (Rase wali Murgi)

Ingredients:
  • 2-3 lb skinned chicken parts (we used breast meat)
  • 2 1/2 tsp salt, divided (I omitted this)
  • 6 T cooking oil, divided (olive oil worked fine)
  • 1 large onion, finely chopped
  • 3 tsp garlic, finely chopped
  • 2 tsp fresh ginger, chopped (I used Penzey's ground, about 1.5 tsp)
  • 1 tsp cumin, roasted and ground (again Penzey's)
  • 1 tsp turmeric powder
  • 1 tsp coriander powder
  • 1 tsp red chili powder (I used Penzey's Medium)
  • 1/4 c water, divided
  • 1/2 lb fresh tomatoes, chopped
  • 2 T fresh cilantro, chopped (again with the Penzey's)
  • 6 T plain yogurt (this I didn't have, but had Vanilla flavor, so used that)
  • 1 tsp garam masala
  • 2 tsp lemon juice
Method:
  1. Wash chicken pieces and dry. Sprinkle with 1 1/2 tsp of salt and set aside.
  2. In nonstick frying pan, heat 2 T of oil on high heat. When hot, add chicken and fry for 3-4 min, turning once. Transfer to a plate. (Chicken will be fully cooked later in recipe.)
  3. Add remaining 4 T of oil to the pan. Add onion, garlic, and ginger and cook until onions are soft and golden brown. (I added my ginger with the other dry spices instead.)
  4. Reduce heat to low. Stir in cumin, turmeric, coriander, red chili powder, and 2 T of the water. Cook for 1-2 min, stirring constantly. Stir in tomatoes, 1 T of cilantro, yogurt, and remaining salt.
  5. Increase heat to medium, add chicken pieces with juices from plate. Pour in remaining water. Bring to a boil, turning chicken in sauce to evenly coat.
  6. Sprinkle curry with garam masala. Reduce heat to low. Cover and let curry simmer for about 20 min or until chicken is tender.
  7. Add lemon juice and remaining cilantro. Simmer another 5 min.
  8. Serve hot over rice.
Note: All spices used came from Penzey's, of course. They had the garam masala in the catalog, and I liked the story so much, that I bought it when I bought this cookbook, as then I didn't have to mix it myself.

This curry was simple to make, and the vanilla yogurt didn't affect the taste or smell at all. Both of us agreed it was tasty and worth making again, maybe with a slightly different meat. We ate it with brown rice (not my favorite, but Nate's choice), and it wasn't as spicy as you would think looking at the ingredients list. This could be made with root veggies for a vegetarian version, as almost the same ingredients are on the facing page for Mixed-Vegetables Curry. It does make a lot, and tastes great as left-overs.

No comments:

Post a Comment