Search This Blog

Thursday, June 10, 2010

Chris's EXTRA BONUS Week Twenty-Three Recipe: Summer Rice Salad

The latest issue of Penzey's catalog has a really good-looking recipe for Basmati Rice and Chicken Salad. I made my own variation this week, but I'll include the original recipe for those who have to feed their local carnivores!

NB: I used sun-dried tomatoes which I reconstituted by simmering a bit on the back of the stove. Sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil would be tasty, too. Just be sure to drain off most of the oil.

Summer Rice Salad

Salad:

1 c uncooked brown rice
3/4 t minced garlic
1/2 c thinly sliced green onions
1/4 c sun-dried tomatoes
1/2 t Penzey's lemon peel (reconstituted)
1-15 oz can garbanzo beans
1-14 oz can artichoke hearts, drained & chopped

Dressing

1/4 c water
3 T lemon juice
3 T olive oil
1 t Dijon mustard
1/2 t salt
1/2 t ground pepper
1/2 t oregano

Cook the rice with the garlic. Set aside and let cool. Mix all the salad ingredients in a large bowl. Mix up the dressing (I put it into a canning jar and shake!) and drizzle over the salad.

Would I make this recipe again? Yes, and I would probably put in twice as many sun-dried tomatoes and some red or yellow peppers, too! I only used about 2/3 of the dressing, but if you had chicken in the recipe, you'd probably use it all.

Basmati Rice and Chicken Salad

Salad:

1 c uncooked white or brown basmati rice
3/4 t minced garlic
2-3 c cooked chicken, chopped
1/2 c thinly sliced green onions
1/4 c sun-dried tomatoes
1/2 t Penzey's lemon peel (reconstituted)
1-16 oz can garbanzo beans
1-8 oz can artichoke hearts, drained & chopped

Dressing

1/4 c chicken broth
3 T lemon juice
3 T olive oil
1 t Dijon mustard
1/2 t salt
1/2 t ground pepper
1/2 t oregano

Cook the rice with the garlic. Set aside and let cool. Mix all the salad ingredients in a large bowl. Mix up the dressing (I put it into a canning jar and shake!) and drizzle over the salad.

No comments:

Post a Comment