Search This Blog

Monday, June 21, 2010

Chris's Week Twenty-Five Recipe: Lentil Soup

Part 1 of this culinary encounter....

"What is ze page that Madame is reading so intently?"

"It's a recipe for lentil soup that I plan to make for dinner."

"How charming! How provincial! How.... Madame is not planning to use expensive, imported French lentilles vertes in SOUP?"

"Madame certainly is."

"But that is so bourgeoisie!"

"A moment ago it was 'charming' and 'provincial'."

"There are so many more sophisticated dishes Madame could be making! Lentil souffle, lentil Bolognese, lentil-encrusted escargot...."


And thus, the lovely green lentils that Sue brought back for me from Paris (they didn't really appear one stormy evening in my kitchen) achieve their first incarnation in:

Lentil Soup

1 c French green lentils
2 c chopped vegetables
- I used about 1/2 c each of onion, carrot, frozen (French) green beans, and frozen peas
4 c vegetable broth
- I used 4 c water and 2 cubes Rapunzel vegetable bouillon w/ sea salt & herbs

Put all the ingredients together in a large saucepan and bring to a boil. Cook for 20-30 min at a slow boil or until the ingredients are tender.

NB: The lentils really absorbed the water, so before putting the leftovers into the fridge, I made up another 2 c of vegetable bouillon and added it to the pot.

Would I make this recipe again? Mais oui! Honestly, this simple recipe was some of the best soup I've ever made.

No comments:

Post a Comment