Search This Blog

Sunday, June 20, 2010

Chris's Week Twenty-Four Recipe: Chocolate Sour Cream Cookies

Happy Father's Day to all the fathers out there! My own dear father chose the following menu for Father's Day: pizza and Mom's chocolate cookies. The pizza came from Papa Murphy's and I made the cookies. Specifically, the cookies Dad requested are an iced chocolate sour cream cookie from mother's late-50s era Betty Crocker cookbook that Mom has made for years. They're a special favorite with all the men in my family.

Chocolate Sour Cream Cookies

Mix:
1/2 c shortening (I used butter, Mom usually uses margarine)
1 c brown sugar
1 c sugar
2 eggs
2 squares melted unsweetened chocolate*

Mix in:
1 c sour cream (or evaporated milk)
1 t vanilla

Add:
2-3/4 c flour
1/2 t soda
1/2 t salt (the original recipe calls for 1 t, but I cut it in half)

Chill dough. Drop by teaspoonsful onto greased cookie sheets and bake for 10 min at 375F

* I used semi-sweet chocolate squares because I wasn't paying attention! The cookies turned out fine, but were lighter in color than they would have been with unsweetened chocolate!

Icing

Please note that powdered sugar icing is an art, not a science. Mix together about

1 c powdered sugar
1/2 t vanilla
3 T cocoa (I used Penzey's Dutch cocoa... yum!)

Add milk very cautiously until you get a really 'stiff' icing. Ice the cookies when they're completely cool.

Would I make this recipe again? Let's put it this way... now that my mother knows I can make these cookies, I bet I'm the family's new designated chocolate cookie baker!

1 comment: