Search This Blog

Saturday, June 5, 2010

Jennifer's Week Twenty-Two BONUS Recipe: No Crust Coconut Pie

So, the other day I ventured to Penzeys to stock up on rosemary and parsley. I decided that instead of just dashing in, grabbing what I need, and leaving (which is how I normally shop) that I would browse and see if they had anything else I would like to have in my kitchen. No other spices or anything like that, but I spied a recipe for No Crust Coconut Pie and was intrigued. So I ripped off one of the little sheets of paper and stuffed in my pocket before checking out and going home. I had originally planned on making it as dessert to consume after the Curry Chicken Pot Pie, but I couldn't find the little piece of paper! Stupid Jennifer forgot that when she got home that she changed shorts and the recipe was still happily tucked away in the pocket. So, this afternoon, I took a shower and donned the shorts from my Penzeys trip, put my hands in my pockets et voila! there was the recipe! So I made it today instead.



No Crust Coconut Pie

1 stick butter (1/2 cup) melted (I used unsalted butter)

2 eggs

1 1/3 cups sugar

1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract

1/4 - 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg

1/2 cup flour

2 cups milk

3 cups shredded coconut


Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a roomy bowl, combine all of the ingredients and mix well. Pour into an ungreased 9-inch pie plate and bake at 350 until browned, about 35-45 minutes. Do not put in a pie crust - this dessert makes its own. Let cool before slicing, and run a thin knife around the rim of the pie plate before cutting.


I also whipped up a meringue for the top. It just felt needed for some reason.

Would I make it again? If some event called for a coconut pie, yes. I'm a person who loves the flavor of coconut, but sometimes the texture can be bothersome. I will eat this pie again. The meringue addition could really go either way, it really didn't make a huge difference to the pie as far as I was concerned.


I really feel that it should be noted that the contributors of this recipe for Penzeys are apparently named Edna and Bud Wiser.

No comments:

Post a Comment