Search This Blog

Monday, April 12, 2010

Tricia's Week 15 Recipe: Cranberry, Wild Rice, Turkey Salad

I scoured the internet looking for recipes that involved things I had at my house and needed to eat up.  These things included: carrots, celery, almonds, cranberries, wild rice.  This is what I found: Chicken and Wild Rice Salad with Almonds

I made some adjustments to the above, mostly because I didn't have any chicken and was too lazy to cook some.  So I went to the deli and asked for a very thick slice of turkey...works like a charm!

Dressing
1/4+ a little more white wine venegar
2 generous teaspoons sugar
1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard/ground mustard (I didn't have dijon and didn't want to go buy some)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon granulated garlic (again, no cloves in house and I had no desire to go to the store today)
a few shakes onion powder (onion ban still on for in salad, so I added a bit of flavor to the dressing)
d 2 tablespoons canola oil
*put all ingredients in a shakable container, shake til mixed, set in fridge until salad is mixed up

Salad
1.5 cups cooked wild rice (I had a tupperware full of leftover, and didn't bother to measure, I was likely closer to 2.5 cups)
1 lb turkey from deli, cut into 1/2 inch chunks (because I wanted a time saver)
1 cup chopped celery
1/2 ish cup shredded carrots (I used my trusty carrot peeler and went to town making shreds)
1/3 ish cup dried cranberries ( I shook til I was happy with the colors in the bowl, really)
1/4 cup chopped almonds - toasted (I toasted the leftovers from the package I used to make the wild rice soup)
*mix all in large bowl

Add salad dressing to salad, put lid on large bowl, and shake.  Have I mentioned I was looking for a quick recipe to use my leftovers?  :P

Would I make it again?  I will get back to you.  The few bites I had tonight were quite tasty, but the salad is in the fridge thinking about itself and will be lunch, tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment