Search This Blog

Sunday, April 11, 2010

Chris's Week Fifteen Recipe: Creamed Eggs

What to do when you need a new recipe for the week and have leftover biscuits? Make chipped beef, of course!

Right.... Like I keep dried beef in the house.

But I always have eggs! So I got down my beloved Betty Crocker's Picture Cookbook (c. 1950) and made...

Creamed Eggs

In a saucepan, melt:

2 T butter

Whisk in:

2 T flour
1/4 t salt
1/8 t white pepper
1/4 t grated horseradish

Take off the heat and whisk in:

1 c milk

Return to heat and bring to a boil for one minute. The sauce can be kept ready on low heat if stirred occasionally.

Pour over biscuits and chopped, freshly-cooked medium-hard-boiled eggs. (I use the cold-start method to boil eggs. Put the eggs in a saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil, then remove the pant from the heat, and let stand covered for 15 minutes. Drain off the hot water and rinse with cold water or you'll burn your fingers! Go for 25 minutes if you want hard-boiled eggs.)

Would I make this recipe again? Yes! The grated horseradish was my own addition and added just a hint of spiciness to the sauce. You'd probably have to use at least a teaspoon before you really noticed it, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment