Search This Blog

Monday, April 12, 2010

Tricia's Week 14 Recipe: Andes Grasshopper Cake

One day, a while  back, I was at the store and saw a Andes mint display.  Prominant on the top of the display was a 'buy 2 get 1 free' (refund by mail) coupon.  I grabbed it, and two packages mints and checked out.  Funny thiing about mail in rebates - I am terrible at mailing them in.  I ate one package of mints, and the other has been sitting there, staring at me.  The good news about this mail in rebate form is that on the back, there are two recipes.  One is for 'Andes Grasshopper Cake, which I endeavored to make for my week 14 recipe.  The theme this month seems to be about using up food in the house, or sharing something from one week to the next.

Andes Grasshopper Cake

Ingredients
1 devils food cake mix
eggs, water and oil necessary for said mix
16 oz non-dairy whipped topping
8 oz cream cheese, softened
1 pkg Andes mints

Cake
Make as directed in 2 rounds.  cool completely

Frosting
Shave off  about a 1/2 cup of the mints into curls, place in fridge.  *note: my mints didn't curl, they made bits, but the bits are just as tasty as the curls
Freeze remaining mints for a while until hard enough to put in mini chopper to make many small pieces without making a melted chocolate mess.  Take mini chopper bowl and put in fridge.
Soften cream cheese and blend on medium speed til smooth.
Add non-dairy whipped topping (aka Cool Whip) on medium low til smooth
Fold in mints from mini chopper
Take one round, place on platter.  Smooth out top and cover w/ 1/3 to 1/2 topping  Add second cake round, top w/ remaining frosting.  (the picture uses 1/2 and only has a middle and top layer. I decided I wanted side layers because I had a bunches of frosting left after adding it to to top of the cake in what I felt was an acceptable layer.)
Take shavings or curls, whichever you were able to accomplish, out of fridge and sprinkle on top of cake.  Serve cold.

Would I make this again?  My goodness, yes!  I then started thinking, what about pinapple flavored cake and this frosting but instead of mint, I'd do mandarin oranges...a version of 'pea pickin cake'...then I thought i wanted the real 'pea pickin cake' which I will likely make when this wonderful cake is gone, and post that recipe too.  I must now remember to only eat one slice cake per day, and to share.

No comments:

Post a Comment