Search This Blog

Saturday, April 24, 2010

Karin's Week Fifteen Recipe: Random Fruit Pie

This recipe is a result of moving things from our basement deep freeze into the new freezer in the kitchen. And we were having friends over for dinner, and I needed a dessert recipe that went well with the vanilla ice cream I had made earlier in the week to test the freezing power of the new freezer. I basically took what I've done for other fruit pies and threw a pie together out of what I could find.

Random Fruit Pie

1 full pkg Pillsbury Pie Crusts (or crust for a 2 crust pie)
~ 4-6 c frozen fruit of your choice (I used mostly rhubarb with some strawberries)
2 T tapioca
1 c sugar (or to taste)
1/2 tsp or so lemon juice

Preheat oven to 450 deg.

Bring pie crust to room temperature and fit into 9-in pie plate - I usually use a glass one, as it's a bit deeper than my metal ones. Thaw fruit just enough to break into individual pieces. Place fruit into pie crust. Sprinkle with tapioca, sugar, and lemon juice. Place top crust on pie and tuck in edges. Make slits in pie to allow for steam to escape.

Place pie in oven, with pie plate on cookie sheet so as to catch any drips. Bake for 10 minutes, then reduce heat to 350 deg. Bake for 40-50 minutes more, covering edges of pie crust for last 10 minutes to prevent excess browning. Actual time needed depends on amount of fruit used.

Consensus was Yum! I also had enough leftovers to serve for another dinner when my parents & grandmother came to visit. This is a great way to use up the random bits of fruit around the house, and I usually have all the ingredients on hand. Now, I just need to learn to make a pie crust that doesn't split on me, then it will be even more homemade.

No comments:

Post a Comment