Search This Blog

Thursday, July 1, 2010

Chris's Week Twenty-Six Recipe: Tangy Slow Cooker Country-Style Ribs

In the spirit of culinary adventure, Erica came to dinner last night. Oh, we may have watched a couple episodes of Doctor Who as well.... I've never tried ribs in the slow cooker, so when I saw this recipe I made a few minor changes and served it up with brown basmati rice and green beans.

Tangy Slow Cooker Country-Style Ribs

1 large onion, sliced
2 lb boneless country style pork loin ribs
1 c hot water
1/4 c sugar
3 T red wine vinegar
2 T soy sauce
1 T tomato paste (recipe calls for ketchup, but I don't have any!)
1/2 t black pepper
1/2 t salt
1/2 t garlic powder

Arrange the onion slices in the bottom of the slow cooker. Put the ribs on top. Mix together the rest of the ingredients and pour over the ribs. Cover and cook while you're at work (6-8 hours on low or 3-4 hours on high).

Would I make this recipe again? Yes, I think so. It was a bit sweet for my tastes, so I'd cut or eliminate the sugar. The recipe also called for a dash of Tabasco, but I didn't see what that would for the taste in that volume of food. Leaving out the pepper and adding 1 t of Penzey's Black & Red might be more like it.

1 comment:

  1. My mom has a recipe for slow cooker ribs that is much less sweet. Generously rub ribs with spices of your choice. Place in cooker on Low for about 8 hr. Place in metal baking pan & brsuh with fav BBQ sauce. Broil for 5 min. They will fall off the bone.

    ReplyDelete