Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Tricia's Week 27 Recipe: Spicey Chicken, Rice, and Bean Quesadillas

This recipe was inspired by a type of pot pie I saw on the internet, that I will likely try in a few weeks and post.  And also by rice and beans - one of my favorite meals and posted this week in her version by Chris.  And also by the fact that I was too hungry to make this into a casserole and bake it - as was the original plan...

Quesadilla filling, Mix together in a bowl the following:
1 chicken breast spiced w/ Northwoods Fire and garlic and cumin (about 1/2 teaspoon each) (mine was .67 lbs) pounded flat, cooked in oil (chili) or grilled, and cubed.
1/2 to 1 cup corn, cooked and drained
1/4 to 1/2 cup black beans
1/4 cup salsa (we used hot)
1 cup (ish) cooked rice
1 solid handful of shredded mozzarella cheese

Place above mixture between two tortillas (we used taco sized ones that are about 8 inches in diameter), and top with one small handful of cheddar cheese.   I heat a frying pan to medium heat, spray with pam and place tortilla on to brown, then I use a plate to flip it off on to, and slide back into regreased frying pan to minimize mess of flipping w/ spatula.  Heat til browned, cut, and top w/ sour cream and enjoy!

I would definately make this again!  In fact, the chicken breast above was delicious by itself and could make an excellent blackened chicken breast for a salad or sandwich!  All spices measurements are approximate because when I'm making up recipes, I never measure (bad self!)  Mixture above made two very hearty quesadillas with a bit left over for lunch for me (and we couldn't finish said quesadillas so I'll make the less hearty next time). It would probably make two burrito sized or greater shelled quesadillas or three of this size quite nicely.  next time I make it, i may leave out the rice, or I would increase the beans and corn and lower the rice content a bit - all up to the person making them!  I think I will also try a casserole version of this with those flat tater tot things on top!

No comments:

Post a Comment