Search This Blog

Saturday, July 31, 2010

Chris's Week Thirty Recipe: Renaissance Meatloaf

I've been reading Renaissance Magazine since the very first issue. Ever so often they have period recipes and one in the most recent issue caught my eye. Linda and Bruce were over for lunch before we went to see the Dead Sea Scrolls at the Science Museum of Minnesota and they graciously volunteered to be my taste testers.

Renaissance Meatloaf

2 lb ground beef
1 c oatmeal
1/3 c red wine
4 eggs
1/4 t black pepper
1/4 t cinnamon
1/8 t ground nutmeg (original recipe calls for mace)
1/8 t ground cloves

Mix all ingredients together, shape into a loaf or put into an 8x8" pan, and back at 350F for 50-60 minutes.

Would I make this recipe again? I might. We all liked it, but it is a much different taste than modern meatloaf. Bruce said it was 'fun' and I think that captures it best!

No comments:

Post a Comment