Search This Blog

Sunday, March 28, 2010

Chris & Tricia's BONUS Week Twelve Recipe: Chicken & Chick Pea Crockpot Soup

Tricia came over last night for dinner and some serious project knitting. (No, I can't tell you what the project is! Go ask her....) She requested my Experimental Cornbread and I thought of chicken soup. I went over the list of proposed ingredients with her and she suggested one that put this soup right over the top in terms of sheer goodness. Without further adieu, here is our recipe:

Chicken & Chick Pea Crockpot Soup

Poach or boil:

2 skinless chicken breasts

Cool, then chop into bite-sized pieces.

Saute:

1/2 medium onion, chopped
several cloves of garlic (quantity depending on taste), roughly minced

Peel and chop:

1 sweet potato
3 large carrots

Cook these in the microwave until tender (but not mushy).

Put all ingredients in a large crock pot and add

1-2 cartons chicken broth (I used about 1.5)
3/4 cup frozen peas
1 cup frozen green bean - chopped if necessary
1 can chick peas (garbanzo beans) - Tricia's suggestion!
salt & pepper to taste

Turn the crockpot on high and bring to a healthy simmer. (This took quite a long time in my crockpot. Although many of the ingredients were fairly warm, most were not.) Serve with a little grated parmesan.

Would I make this recipe again? Often! Speaking without any modesty whatsoever, this is the best chicken soup I've ever made.

No comments:

Post a Comment