Search This Blog

Sunday, March 14, 2010

Tricia's Week 7 Recipe: Southwestern Shepards Pie

It has been a while since I posted my recipes, because I've been traveling, but that doesn't mean that I haven't been making my recipes!  Week 7 was all about using up some canned things in my cupboard, and also about signing up for my free account at Pillsbury.com.  Big fan of that website!  Lots of great recipes, a good search engine when wanting to make new things w/ 'x' ingredient, and good coupons. Also, you can save your recipes you like in your 'recipe box' for easy access later.  You can find the original recipe here.

Ingredients:
1 & 1/2lb. lean ground beef round  (ground turkey works really well too, especially when it is on sale!)
1/2cup chopped onion  (as onion and I have a gastrointestinal disagreement, I used granulated onion powder from Penzey's, whatever is says for an equivalent, mixed into the ground beef)
2cups water
3tablespoons butter or margarine
1/2teaspoon salt
3/4cup milk
2cups Hungry Jack® Mashed Potato Flakes
1(4.5-oz.) can Old El Paso® Chopped Green Chiles
4oz. (1 cup) shredded Mexican cheese blend
1(10-oz.) can Old El Paso® Enchilada Sauce (love the spicey, so bought 'hot' enchilada sauce)
1-2canned chipotle chiles in adobo sauce (from 11-oz. can), drained, seeded and chopped (I used three cause I love the smokey flavor!)
1/2teaspoon cumin
1/2teaspoon dried oregano leaves
1(11-oz.) can Green Giant® Mexicorn® Whole Kernel Corn, Red and Green Peppers, drained
1/8teaspoon paprika
1/3cup sliced green onions
1small tomato, cut into 6 wedges (skipped this because all the tomatoes looked icky)

Directions
1. Heat oven to 400°F. In large skillet, brown ground beef round with onion over medium-high heat for 8 to 10 minutes or until thoroughly cooked, stirring frequently.
2. Iin medium saucepan, combine water, butter and salt. Bring to a boil. Remove from heat. Stir in milk and potato flakes. Cover; let stand 5 minutes. Stir in green chiles and 1/2 cup of the cheese.
3. Drain beef mixture. Add enchilada sauce, chipotle chiles, cumin and oregano; mix well. Bring to a boil. Remove from heat. Spread beef mixture in ungreased shallow 2-quart casserole. Top with corn. Spread potatoes evenly over corn. Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup cheese.
4. Bake at 400°F. for 13 to 17 minutes or until cheese is melted and filling is bubbly. Sprinkle with paprika and green onions. Arrange tomato wedges in center of casserole. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
 
I would definately make this again!  It was wonderfully tasty!  Very spicey, but if you keep the peppers to a minimum and don't use the hot enchilada sauce I think it would be just 'pleasantly' spicey.  (I like the very spicey!)

No comments:

Post a Comment