Search This Blog

Thursday, February 11, 2010

BONUS Recipe from Chris: Experimental Cornbread

I've been experimenting with variations on a recipe for buttermilk cornbread that I found here on allrecipes.com. I use different grinds of cornmeal, 'buttermilk' variants, different types (and quantities) of sweetener, various types of flour, and so on and so on.

I made a batch this past week that seems to be as good as it gets so I'll give you the recipe. I'm sure I'll still fiddle around with it for fun, though, and I encourage you to try different variations yourself!

Experimental Cornbread

1/4 lb (1 stick) butter
2/3 c turbinado sugar
2 eggs
1 T lemon juice
1 c milk (almost)
1/2 t baking soda
1 c medium grind cornmeal
1 c whole wheat flour
1/2 t salt

Melt the butter and cool slightly. Beat in eggs. Put 1 T lemon juice in your liquid measuring cup, then add enough milk to make 1 cup. Mix the baking soda into the milk and add the mixture to the butter & eggs. Add cornmeal, whole wheat flour and salt and mix until just blended.

Bake for 20-25 min in a 9x9 pan at 375F, or until a toothpick comes out clean in the center of the pan.

No comments:

Post a Comment