Search This Blog

Sunday, March 14, 2010

Tricia's Week Eight Recipe: Pork and Rice Casserole

My mom made something similar when we were small, involving cream of mushroom soup and rice and chicken. I found this recipe in a cookbook that was bought for me as part of a fundraiser.  It has lots of family recipes from my old hometown, and this looked like a good one for a chilly night.

Pork Chop & Rice Casserole

Ingredients
4 pork chops or chicken breasts
3/4 c. rice (not minute rice)
1/2 c. chopped celery (I ignored measuring and cut up 3 stalks)
1/2 c. chopped onion (we subbed onion powder)
1/2 c. chopped carrots (I ignored measuring again and cup up three sizable carrots)
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 1/2 cans water 
2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
salt and pepper to taste


Brown the chops or chicken in a skillet with a little oil or butter.  Place in greased 13X9 inch pan.  Brown rice in skillet w/ fat/oil from meat.  Add celery, carrots, onion, chicken soup, water, and Worcestershire sauce (and salt and pepper).  Heat through and stir and pour over meat in pan.  Cover w/ aluminum foil and bake at 350 for 1 hour.  Serves 4.

I would definately make this again, I might add additional veggies to the rice like mushrooms and peppers, and I think I would season the pork chops with garlic.  Very tasty on a cold evening though.

No comments:

Post a Comment