Search This Blog

Monday, February 8, 2010

Karin's Week Two Recipe: Rocky Road Fudge Bars

This recipe is the result of needing to do something with the 3lb Toblerone candy bar that is sitting in my kitchen. There really is too much of it to just eat it, so I am trying to find something that one can do with that much candy. The recipe is one of Marjorie Johnson's from her cookbook "The Road to Blue Ribbon Baking". This lady has won over 1,000 blue ribbons at the Minnesota State Fair for her baked goods. Talk about a reputation! I knew this one had to be good.

The recipe also was a chance to use up almost all the baking supplies that I had on had. These are rich bars, as you will soon see. They also require a lot of bowls and pans to make. And it only used up 3 triangles of giant Toblerone, so there will be more dessert recipes to come.

Rocky Road Fudge Bars

Dough
1/2c butter
1 square (1 oz) unsweetened chocolate (I used cocoa powder and oil)
1c sugar
1c flour
1/2 to 1c chopped nuts (I used walnuts)
1t baking powder
1t vanilla
2 eggs

In large saucepan over low heat, melt butter and chocolate. Add remaining dough ingredients. Mix well. Spread in a greased/floured 9x13 pan.

Filling
8oz pkg cream cheese, softened
1/2c suguar
2T flour
1/4c butter, softened
1 egg
1/2t vanilla
1/4c chopped nuts (walnuts, again)
1c chocolate chips (I used chopped Toblerone instead)

2c mini marshmallows

In small bowl, combine 6oz cream cheese with next 5 ingredients. Blend until smooth and fluffy. Stir in nuts. Spread in pan over chocolate mixture. Sprinkle with chocolate chips. Bake at 350deg for 25-35 min or until toothpick comes out clean. Sprinkle with marshmallows and bake 2 min longer.

Frosting
1/4c butter
1 square (1 oz) unsweetened chocolate
Remaining 2oz cream cheese
1/4c milk
1 lb (3c) powdered sugar
1t vanilla

In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter, chocolate, cream cheese and milk. Stir in powdered sugar and vanilla until smooth. Immediately pour over marshmallows and swirl together.

This recipe is good in very small doses. It is incredibly sweet and uses an entire pound of butter. If I make this again, I'd make it for a party where I know that we won't have to eat it all. Kids would probably love it, as it has all of the texture of rocky road ice cream.

2 comments:

  1. I must admit I was wondering what you were going to do with that monster bar...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This recipe only took 3 triangles of chopped Toblerone, so I have 3/4 of the bar left. We'll have to see what else I can come up with to finish it off.

    ReplyDelete