Search This Blog

Sunday, February 14, 2010

Chris's Week Seven Recipe: Foldover Apple Pie

A few Honeycrisp apples from Whistling Well Farm lay lurking in the bottom of my refrigerator. Honeycrisps keep a long time in the fridge, but this was expecting quite a lot for apples I picked up last October. Not having enough to make a whole pie, I used this recipe from Pillsbury as the basis for a foldover apple pie. I reduced the overall sugar and had to use turbinado instead of brown sugar. (My brown sugar had petrified and I didn't feel like reviving it.) To make up for the loss of fluid in the brown sugar, I increased the amount of lemon juice. I also used cinammon instead of vanilla and eliminated the butter since pie crusts has plenty of fat on its own.

Foldover Apple Pie

1 Pillsbury refrigerated pie crust

Filling
2 c thinly sliced apples
1/4 c turbinado sugar
1 T water
1 T lemon juice
1 T flour
scant 1/4 t salt
1/2 t cinnamon

Egg wash
1 egg
1 T water

Mix apples, sugar, water and lemon juice in a saucepan and cook over medium heat until the apples are soft. Mix flour, salt & cinnamon together and add gradually to the apple mixture. Remove from heat and let cool for 15 minutes. Meanwhile, let your pie crust come to room temperature.

Unroll pie crust on an ungreased cookie sheet. Put the filling in the middle. Beat together the egg and water and brush the egg wash on the edges of the crust. Fold the crust in half, then seal and crimp the edges together. Brush egg wash over the top and cut some small vents to let steam escape. (If you've got egg wash left over, make a little scrambled egg!)

Bake 25-30 min or until golden brown.

Would I make this again? I think so. It would be fun to try with other fillings. I'd definitely remember that Penzey's cinnamon is potent and use half as much.

No comments:

Post a Comment