Search This Blog

Thursday, February 18, 2010

Karin's Week Seven Recipe: Leeks and Beans

This recipe used something I don't think to use that often, leeks. It also used beans, which I like, and was fairly quick to make. It came out of my "Occasional Vegetarian" Cookbook, as I like veggie dishes, but need to add a meat to make a meal for Nate.

Leeks and Beans

3 c chopped leeks, white parts only (about 3 medium) *We ended up using 3 giant and 4 small leeks to get the 3 c chopped white bits only, and even then sorta chopped up to the leaves.
1 T olive oil
2 garlic cloves, chopped
2.5 c cooked white beans or canned (drained and rinsed) *I used Goya Frijoles Blancos, as these were the only thing called white beans in the aisle at the store
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
1-2 T chopped fresh sage *I used Penzeys Rubbed Sage instead.

In a large pan, saute the leeks in the olive oil over medium-low heat until they are soft and just beginning to brown, about 20 minutes. *I recommend using a nonstick pan, as this is not enough oil to keep the leeks from sticking. And it took much less than 20 minutes for the leeks to start browning.

Add the garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes. Then add the beans, salt, and pepper. Add sage here if using dried variety. Bring to a simmer and cook over low heat for 20 minutes. *At this point, there is nothing to simmer, so I added some chicken stock to the pan to keep everything from sticking. Probably about a 1/2 c or so, just enough to make liquid in the bottom. The leeks absorbed it right away, so I added another 1/2 c or so.

Add sage, if fresh, and cook for 2 minutes. Serve hot.

This recipe was tasty, although in its final version not vegetarian due to the stock add. It did make a pretty dish. I served it with a standard roast chicken and cake for dessert. I don't think I would make it again, as the combo of beans and leeks had an unintended effect on the digestive systems present in our house. Or if I did, it would need lots of tweaking.

No comments:

Post a Comment