Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Tricia's Week 47 Recipes: Thanksgiving Cooking with Rachel

Last week I went to visit Rachel in Washington.  I brought MN with me, so on the foul weather days we baked and cooked.  Here are two recipes from our delicious feast.  The Parsnip Spice Cake is a new recipe.  The Chutney I've made before (a slightly different version), but it's worth sharing.  Both were delicious, and Rachel just informed me today that the cake is gone...time to make another!

Parsnip Spice Cake (adapted from Eggs on Sunday): The original recipe called for cupcakes, but we used a 9 inch round cake pan and it worked just fine.
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour [or, you can do as I did and substitute half whole wheat pastry flour]1 cup sugar
1 tablespoon ground ginger2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
3/4 teaspoon ground allspice
3/4 teaspoon ground cloves
3 large eggs
1/2 cup canola oil or vegetable oil
1/2 cup whole milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups (packed) shredded peeled parsnips
1/2 cup pecans, toasted, chopped
Mix all ingredients and fold in parsnips and pecans at the end.  Bake at 350 until done.


Maple Cream Cheese Frosting, also from Eggs on Sunday:
6 ounces cream cheese, softened (I used 8)
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
pinch of ground nutmeg
pinch of salt
1 tablespoon pure maple syrup (I like to use Dark Amber/Grade B)
1 cup confectioner’s sugar
Mix together cream cheese and butter, add other ingredients, finally add sugar.  Frost cake.

I was very fond of this cake.  It was most delicious and I wished I could have stayed to eat more.  Perhaps I'll have to make it again, here in MN.


Cranberry Apricot Chutney (recipe from All Recipes).

Ingredients

  • 1/4 cup diced dried apricots
  • 1 (12 ounce) package fresh cranberries
  • 1/2 cup raisins
  • 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
  • 1 pinch ground cloves
  • 1 cup water
  • 3/4 cup white sugar
  • 1/2 cup cider vinegar

Cut up apricots, and in a largish bowl put all fruit and spices.  Mix.  In a saucepan big enough to hold it all, add water, sugar and vinegar and stir til sugar is dissolved.  Add fruit, bring to a boil, and then simmer until thickened.  (10-20 minutes depending on your pan and stove)
I do like this chutney.  I am going to make some for on toast.  I think it would be excellent on the french bread with some brie, too! 

No comments:

Post a Comment