Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Jennifer's Week Thirty-Five Recipe: Granny's Apple Pie

I know I'm a bit behind in posting on the blog, but this week will see some catching up. Now that Erik is back in school I have more time to do some recipe research. Hooray!

This recipe is one that I have been meaning to make for years: my grandmother's apple pie. Yum!


Granny's Apple Pie

Crust (makes a top and bottom crust)

1 Crisco bar - butter flavor

2 cups flour

1 tsp salt

1/4 cup water


Mix the Crisco, flour and salt together. Gradually add water until a nice dough ball has formed (not sticky). Roll out the dough to make the top and bottom crusts.


Filling

1 1/2 to 2 pounds of Macintosh apples, peeled and sliced thin

2/3 to 1 cup sugar (depends on the tartness of the apples)

1 tsp cinnamon

1 Tbs flour


Gently toss the apples with the sugar, cinnamon and flour to coat. Assemble the pie, making sure to have holes for venting. Bake at 350 for 1 hour to 1 hour and 15 minutes (until crust is a nice golden color). The apples will bake down substantially.



Would I make this again? Yes. I need to. The crust is tricky to get right (I was warned about this), although with the short ingredient list, you would not think that would be the case. While it was very close to the flaky texture my grandmother achieves, it still was not right. And I must get it right.

No comments:

Post a Comment