Search This Blog

Monday, September 27, 2010

Chris's Week Thirty-Nine Recipe: Stove Top Mac-n-Cheese ala Alton Brown

It all started with a terrible craving for macaroni and cheese combined with the desire to find a new blog recipe for this week. So I started thinking.... I've made boxed macaroni & cheese. I've made baked macaroni and cheese. I've even made cheater's macaroni and cheese where you toss butter and shredded cheese on the noodles and hope for the best. But I've never actually made my own stove top macaroni and cheese. Where to find a recipe...?


I tweaked the seasonings slightly - less salt, more hot sauce, but the real difference is in the Mac:Cheese ratio. I like lots of noodles with a modest amount of sauce, so I doubled the amount of pasta. This really would have been cheesy otherwise!

Stove Top Mac-n-Cheese ala Alton Brown

1 pound whole wheat rotini
4 T butter
2 eggs
6 oz evaporated milk
1 t hot sauce
1/2 t kosher salt
freshly-ground black pepper (in the sauce or added later - you're choice!)
3/4 t dried mustard
10 oz sharp cheddar, grated

Cook the pasta al dente or slightly past that point if desired. Drain. Return to the pot and add the butter. Toss to coat. Whisk together the eggs, milk, and seasonings. Stir into the pasta and add the grated cheese. Continue to stir over low heat for about three minutes or until creamy.

Would I make this recipe again? It's definitely Good Eats!

No comments:

Post a Comment